Karun Rawat has received his PhD. degree in electrical engineering from University of Calgary, Canada in 2012. He is currently Assistant Professor in department of Electronics and Communication at Indian Institute of Technology (I.I.T) Roorkee, India. Prior to this, he was Assistant Professor in Centre for Applied Research in Electronics, I.I.T Delhi from 2013-2014 and scientist in the Space Applications Center, Indian Space Research Organization Ahmedabad, from 2003–2007.
Karun Rawat is Senior member of IEEE since 2012 and his research has resulted in more than 50 publications in journals and conferences, one patent (applied), one state of art book, one accepted book and a book chapter. He is founding director of lamp-tech technology private limited which is involved in indigenous development of power amplifier design and its linearization technology.
His current research interests are in the areas of RF power amplifier and transceiver design, digital transmitters, nonlinear device modeling, RF linear and nonlinear measurements and characterization, RF active and passive circuits design, RFCMOS and GaN MMIC designs. He has given several technical talks in India as well as abroad including workshops in power amplifiers at IEEE ARFTG 2016 (USA), IEEE APMC 2015 (China), IEEE IMaRC 2014-2015 (India), IEEE IMS (USA), IEEE EuMW (Spain) etc. He has invited papers in reputed conferences such as European Microwave Conference in Germany, International Symposium on Circuit and System, USA. Dr. Rawat has been reviewer of several IEEE transactions including Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Transactions on circuit and systems, Transactions on Electronic Devices, Transactions on Industrial Electronics etc.
Dr. Rawat has received research production award for three consecutive years from 2009-2011 during his PhD. He also received best design prize in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge in 2010. He is also member of the editorial board of Wiley journal in RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering (RFMiCAE). He is active member of Special Interest Group in Microwave and Wireless Education (SiGMaWe) of IEEE Microwave Theory and Technique (MTT) and Nonlinear Vector Network Analyzer Forum supported by ARFTG.
He has also been associated with advisory committee of several RF industries, national laboratories and universities for brainstorming and research initiatives. He has also been part of technical program committee of several IEEE conferences such as IEEE IMaRC, IEEE APMC and IEEE INDICON. He has served as technical program chair of IEEE INDICON 2017.
- Assistant Professor: Department of Electronics and Communication, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, December 31, 2014 to till date.
- Assistant Professor: Centre for Applied Research in Electronics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, April 2013 to December 30, 2014.
- Postdoctoral Fellow: iRadio Lab, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Calgary, May 2012 to March 2013.
- Scientist/Engineer-SC: Microwave Sensors Receiver Division at Space Applications Centre, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Ahmedabad from October 2003 to December, 2007.
- PhD (Electrical and Computers Engineering): May 2009 to April 2012, Department of Electrical and Computers Engineering, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- MS. (Electrical and Computers Engineering): January 2008-April 2009 (transferred to PhD), Department of Electrical and Computers Engineering, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- B.E. (Electronics & Communication): 1998-2002, C.C.S. University Meerut, UP, India
Awards and Recognition:
- Publication Chair of IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, Dec. 2016.
- Chairperson of Special Session on PhD-Initiatives under IEEE Microwave Theory and Technique Society at IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, Dec. 2016.
- Session Chair in "Amplifier and/or GaN device related techniques", IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, Dec. 2016.
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member and reviewer in IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC2014), Hyderabad, December 2015.
- Member Editorial board International Journal: “Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering”.
- Reviewer SERB/DST Research Grant.
- Reviewer International Journal: “IET Microwaves, Antenna & Propagation”.
- Reviewer International Journal: “IEEE Transactions on Microwaves, Theory & Techniques”.
- Reviewer Wiley books in Engineering.
- Elected as senior member of IEEE on 1 June 2013.
- Selected as Technical Advisor of company Avantel Ltd. An enterprise involved in design and development of Power Amplifier transceiver systems (Please check www.avantel.in/).
- Best student paper award nomination at IEEE International Microwave and RF conference iMaRC 2014.
- First Team Prize and Best Design Price in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge: Team leader of the University of Calgary team, which won first prize and best design prize in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge 2010, conducted by Wireless Innovation Forum. This was a worldwide championship in which student engineering teams design, develop and test software defined and cognitive radio technologies that address specific problems relevant to the advanced wireless community. The main technical role in the project was proposing system architecture, its hardware development and measurement.
- Research Production Award: This was awarded for three consecutive years (2009, 2010, 2011) by the department of electrical engineering, University of Calgary for high number of publications in reputed journals and conferences.
- Best Industrial Trainee Award: This was awarded by Deference Research Development Organization (DRDO), India, for being a best trainee during the industrial internship in Defense laboratory in India as a part of curriculum of Bachelors of Engineering.
Professional Membership and Contributions:
- Senior Member of IEEE since June 2013.
- Member of Microwave theory and Techniques Society.
- Member of IEEE Circuit and System Society.
- Member of IEEE Solid State and Circuits Society.
- Member of IEEE Electron Device Society.
- Member Editorial board of Wiley Journal: RFMiCAE (Radio frequency and microwave computer aided engineering), since December, 2013.
- Guest Editor of a special issue entitled “GAN HEMT Modeling and Circuits” for International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Wiley in 2018.
- Workshop co-organizer/Speaker for “Broadband PA for Wireless Applications” in IEEE European Microwave Conference, EuMC 2018, scheduled during 25th – 27th September 2018, in Madrid, Spain.
- Workshop co-organizer/Speaker for “Advanced Applications of Nonlinear Vector Network Measurements for broadband RF Power Amplifiers Design and Linearization” in IEEE International Microwave Symposium IMS 2018, held during 10-15 June 2018, in Philadelphia, USA.
- Invited paper in IEEE European Microwave Conference, EuMC 2017, held in Nuremberg, Germany, 2017 and IEEE International Symposium on Circuits & Systems (ISCAS), held in 2017 at Baltimore, USA.
- Technical Program Co-Chair in IEEE India Council International Conference (INDICON) 2017, held during December 15-17 2017, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India.
- Workshop Speaker for “Bandwidth enhancement of load modulation techniques in Power amplifiers for upcoming wireless communication" in 88th IEEE ARFTG Microwave Measurement Symposium, held during December 6-9, 2016, in Texas, Austin, USA.
- Publication Chair in IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, held during 05-09 December 2016 in New Delhi, India, (sponsored by IEEE-MTT/AP).
- Organizer of PhD Initiative program in IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, held during 05-09 December 2016 in New Delhi, India, (sponsored by IEEE-MTT/AP).
- Workshop co-organizer/speaker for “Recent Trends in RF Power Amplifier and Wireless Transmitter Design” in IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, held during 06-09 December 2015 in Nanjing, China, (sponsored by IEEE-MTT/AP).
- Workshop co-organizer/ Speaker for “Emerging Trends in Power Amplifier design: Device Fabrication, Modeling and Linearization." in IEEE International Microwave and RF conference IMaRC 2015, held during 10-12 December 2015 in Hyderabad India. (sponsored by IEEE-MTT).
- Organizer of Special Session on RF and Microwave Power Amplifiers at IEEE Applied Electromagnetic Conference AEMC 2015, during 18-21 December 2015, Guwahati, India (sponsored by IEEE-MTT/AP).
- Workshop co-organizer/Speaker for "Power Amplifiers and digital schemes for Efficient Multi-band/Multi-Standard Wireless Transmitters in context of Software Defined Radios" in IEEE International Microwave and RF conference IMaRC 2014, held during 15-17 December 2014 in Bangalore India. (sponsored by IEEE-MTT).
- Member Technical Program Committee of IEEE IMaRC 2014.
- Power Amplifier Session Co-chair at IEEE International Microwave and RF conference iMaRC 2014.
- Exhibition chair in IEEE International Microwave and RF conference IMaRC 2013, held during 14-16 December 2013 in New Delhi, India.
- Member MTT Special Interest Group in Microwave and Wireless Education, SiGMaWE.
- Exhibition co-chair in IEEE IMaRC 2013.
- Reviewer of Journal IEEE Transaction of Microwave Theory and Technique.
- Reviewer of Journal IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letter.
- Reviewer of Journal IEEE Transaction of Circuit and Systems-I.
- Reviewer of Journal IEEE Communication letters.
- Reviewer for IET Microwave Antenna and Propagation.
- Reviewer for IET Electronics Letter.
- Reviewer of Journal of Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering.
- Reviewer of Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications (JEMWA).
- Reviewer of IEEE Symposium on Wireless Technology & Applications, Sep. 23-26, 2012, Bandung, Indonesia.
- Reviewer of IEEE 24th and 25th IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE).
- Prof. Fadhel Ghannouchi, Professor and Director, iRadio Labs, Department of Electrical and Computers Engineering, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Prof. Patrick Roblin, Professor and Director, Non-Linear RF Laboratory, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University.
- Dr. Franchisco Falcone, Associate Professor, Universidad Pública de Navarra, Spain.
- Dr. Wenhua Chen, Associate Professor, Tsinghua University Beijing, China.
- Vedang Radios
- Lekha Wireless
- SSPL, Defence Research and Development Organization, Ministry of Defence
- Department of science and Technology, Govt. of India
- SRIC, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee